CMB home :: CMB News Archives
• Congratulations to CMB student Sebastian Fica, graduate student in Jonathan P. Staley's lab, on his recent publication in Nature: Fica SM†, Tuttle N†, Novak N, Li N-L, Lu J, Koodathingal P, Dai Q, Staley JP*, and Piccirilli JA*. (2013) RNA catalyzes nuclear pre-mRNA splicing, Nature, 2013 Nov 14;503(7475):229-34. †Co-first authors; *Co-corresponding authors. (PubMed) This was collaborative work with Nicole Tuttle, graduate student in Piccirilli lab. See Nature website for accompanying News & Views, "Metal ghosts in the splicing machine."
• Congratulations to CMB student Angika Basant of Michael Glotzer's lab who is one of two recipients for the TA Award for 2012-2013, for her outstanding work in Molecular Biology of the Cell in Autumn 2012.
• Congratulations to CMB student Jenna Christensen of David Kovar's lab who received a 2013 NSF fellowship.
• Congratulations to CMB student Michael Werner of Alex Ruthenburg's lab who received a 2013 Chicago Biomedical Consortium (CBC) Scholars Award.
• Congratulations to CMB student Adrian Grzybowski of Alex Ruthenburg's lab who is this year's recipient of "Dean's International Student Fellowship".
• Check out Doug Bishop's new paper in Science resolving a long-standing question about meiotic recombination: Rad51 is an accessory factor for Dmc1-mediated joint molecule formation during meiosis. Science. 2012 Sep 7;337(6099):1222-5.
• The Center for Teaching Learning Presents The Workshop on Teaching in the College 2012, September 25-26, 2012. Register Online by September 14, 2012.
• Janet Rowley to receive Japan Prize for role in development of targeted cancer therapy, January 25, 2012, UChicago News
• Repair, mutation, and other topics. Autobiographical sketch by Bernard S. Strauss, PhD, Professor Emeritus, Department of Molecular Genetics and Cell Biology, University of Chicago.
• Congratulations to Julian Boggiano, a graduate student in the Committee on Development, Regeneration, and Stem Cell Biology (Fehon's group) for a Featured Article in Developmental Cell:
Boggiano, J., Vanderzalm, P., & Fehon, R. (2011). Tao-1 Phosphorylates Hippo/MST Kinases to Regulate the Hippo-Salvador-Warts Tumor Suppressor Pathway Developmental Cell, 21 (5), 888-895 DOI: 10.1016/j.devcel.2011.08.028;
(see also: The Controller of Hippos and Yorkies)
• David Kovar, PhD and Edwin “Chip” Ferguson, PhD receive 2011 Annual Distinguished Faculty Award in the category: Distinguished Educator/Mentor in Basic Science Education, May 12, 2011 (read more)
• The University of Chicago Biology Graduate Programs rank 13th nation-wide in 2011! Source: U.S. News.
• Dr. Janet D. Rowley featured in The New York Times, February 7, 2011: A Conversation with The Matriarch of Modern Cancer Genetics
• Dr. Janet D. Rowley receives the American Association for Cancer Research 2010 Award for Lifetime Achievement in Cancer Research, and the 2010 Jesse Stevenson Kovalenko Award from the National Academy of Sciences
to Spring Quarter 2010 Graduates!
Paul Ingram, Malamy Lab
"A role for phloem-mobile molecules in the regulation of Arabidopsis root system architecture"
Bonnie Scott, Kovar Lab
"Formin' the actin cytoskeleton for diverse cellular processes in fission yeast"
Elisabeth Montegna, Glick Lab
"Sec16 Recruits Sec12 to transitional ER sites in Pichia pastoris"
Yang Liu, Glick Lab
"Assembly and regulation of the transitional endoplasmic reticulum in budding yeasts"
• Congratulations to Colleen Skau of the Kovar lab for being selected as one of two William Rainey Harper Fellows in the BSD for her work on the control of actin binding proteins, May 28, 2010
to 2010 National Science Foundation (NSF)
Graduate Research Fellowship (GRF) recipients:
Joseph Briguglio (Turkewitz Lab) and David Lerner (Horne-Badovinac Lab), and
to Michael Werner for earning Honorable Mention for the NSF Fellowship, April 6, 2010
to 2010 Chicago Biomedical Consortium (CBC) Scholar:
Erin White (Glotzer Lab), January 1, 2010
Michael Glotzer’s built-from-scratch biochemistry,
and do-it-yourself genetics and microscopy, have revealed some of
the secrets of cell division. The Scientist, December 2009
Horne-Badovinac receives Basil O'Connor Young Investigator
Award - March of Dimes - for grant proposal: "Genetic Analysis
of planar polarity and organ shape",
• 'Doug Bishop, PhD, Professor of Molecular Genetics and Cell Biology
and of Radiation and Cellular Oncology, works to further
his understanding of recombination in meiosis', The Scientist (2009), September, Volume 23, Issue 9, Page 48
• Dr. Janet Rowley awarded the Presidential Medal
of Freedom, our nation’s highest civilian honor,
by President Barack Obama, August 12, 2009
• Janet Davison Rowley, MD, receives the 2009 Genetics Prize of The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, July 1, 2009
to Summer Quarter 2009 Graduates!
Marissa Blank, Millen Lab
"ZIC1 and ZIC4 control cerebellar size and foliation by Shh dependent and indepenedent mechanisms"
Andrew Cal, Borevitz Lab
"Association Mapping of Regulatory Variation in Arabidopsis
Sho Yano, Rothman-Denes Lab
"Specific inhibition of host processes by bacteriophage N4